• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunny, one so true, I love you !!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Cool Sunny, one so true, I love you !!

For those of you who want to know more about me and my car adventures/misadventures, there are many threads on this forum already about them. After owning many cars, I still found that there wasnt one car that gave me almost everything one looks for in a good car. One can understand this due to the way people make cars for certain purposes such as mileage or quality or looks, and compromize the others.

To keep things to the point, there were a few things that I needed after I sold my figo last year. The new car would have to provide me these things:

- good comfort, spacious to seat 5 adults without brickbats
      - decent ride, non bumpy and something that soaks up potholes with ease
      - optimum power, no more or less than about 90bhp
      - reasonably good torque for city drives, atleast 190 or more Nm, preferably linear
      - respectable mileage, atleast 15kmpl, thats what my figo gave me
      - very good comfort for both legs, THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT TO CONSIDER
      - easy to drive and chuck about, was

So I decided to buy a hatch again. I sold the figo in november. From then on began the hunt. having the auto show nearby in Jan was thrilling. I already owned a swift earlier and there was no hatch close to that yet in the market with respect to all parameters of mileage, service, power, fun, etc. After some purchase mistakes earlier I told my wife that I will book a swift Dzire and go with it while just keeping an eye out for other cars. I booked a dzire in november and delivery was promised in jan (becuase i took up a cancelled booking). With this each day in December passed waiting for news about the rock star launches - Ecosport, Duster, New Punto and Linea, Pulse, New Dzire, Rapid and what not.

As and when each and every bit of these launches happened the immediate thing I did was to check the feasibility of how fast I can own one versus the car's strong and weak points. I will mention later which ones I test drove and did not choose and why. The Sunny was already launched in petrol by september and it was already making news. By January mid, the diesel sunny was launched as well and was available for booking. Since the dzire was no where in sight (thanks to maruti's antics) I checked on the sunny at the nissan showroom in Bangalore and I was blown away by the product in general. Rear seat space alone was enough for me to discount other cars. Considering I booked a Dzire and it was nowhere in sight, I also decided I will book a sunny Diesel. Paid 50k on the assurance I can obtain refund if i cancel the booking. And then the wait began again, this time for two cars.

The desire finally was launched Feb 1st week, but I had a preview of it last week of jan itself. One look at the rear seat and decided there is no more desire in the list. I test drove the petrol desire during second week of Februrary and it further cemented my decision not to go with it. The wait was 10 days more for the Sunny Diesel, and then the next day I got a call, saying car is ready. My loan approvals and other payments took three days more and On Wednesday evening peak hour, I took delivery of the caaaar.

In the coming posts, I will discuss some more interesting titbits. Till then stay tuned for some photos.
      I've bought the bronze grey colour of the sunny.

(Mods, I am bit short on time these days, please do let me write at my pace and I will bring in more details)

Awesome

My new Sunny

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429330_10150694255784108_736804107_11077028_526232615_n.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	71747
      Last edited by mclaren1885; 23rd Feb 2012 at 21:34. Reason: Attachment placed Inline

Sedate...

Awesome

Let me the first one to congratulate you geeksrik.
      As you sold Figo was waiting to know what's your next buy & it turned out to be a Caaar.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - CODE 6 Tuned - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      2012 Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Our Czech Princess :-)
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

Awesome

My previous cars - a brief history

Let me detail a bit about my car history that brought me to the point of why I now own the sunny. You know I really started writing in good earnest on another you-know-which forum and they literally ****ed me off with moderation overtones. I belong here and I love the people here. So let me get on .....

Year 1999: Bajaj Caliber - my first bike, though I owned umpteen other two wheelers before this from college days. Enjoyed driving this for a year, when I sold it to a close friend in year 2000. The reason was to upgrade to a car. Me and dad chanced on a used Maruti 800, used by two people precisely and one that was a carburettor model (non mpfi). The car was pulling clean, was navy blue in colour and looked good. No matter how much we negotiated the seller refused a price below 1.4 lacs for a 45000km done vehicle. without much choice, we had to opt for going in for that car. so happened i was in my first job and did not know what else was in store. Fate had it that my friend who bought my bike died of an accident from that very same bike, while I was left with this car. I did 10000kms more on this car, spent 10000 bucks on maintenance and sold for 95k.

Year 2001: No car - I got a job abroad in South east asia - yours truly asia, and for a year more I did not have a car. Enjoyed lots of walks, taxis, and suburban trains in Kuala Lumpur

Year 2003: Married, and came back to settle down in Namma Bengaluru. Bought a Palio NV 1.2 petrol. Due to certain financial miscalculations and horrendous mileage, this did not last long and had to go. No point talking arithmetic here, it was a loss.

Year 2004: No car year - economy mode to cover the loss of the previous year

Year 2005: Wife agrees that I can buy a car but she would choose which. We enter Bimal and come out with a Carribean blue MPFI Maruti 800 A/c. Kept this for couple of years, after which severe leg cramps forced me to redecide. Bought for 2.66 lacs, sold for 1.66 lacs after about 25k kms.

Year 2006: Go back to Bimal, where I booked the then new Swift Hatch, the hottest hatches in the country. Bought an Ozone blue (my friends call it copper sulphate blue) Swift VDi. After a wait of 3 months car is delivered. This was one of my dream cars, with maruti legendary service and fiat legendary engine, bought for 5.8 lacs, added accessories upto 40k and sold it after 36000km. Three extremely major accidents, hell lot of rattles in early batch vehicles, were main reasons for another change. Sold for 4.2 lacs to a certain Toyota-I-Dont-Trust. Had my first son during this time as well.

Year 2011: Wanting to buy a Corolla Altis that had just done 8000km straight out of factory use, heart said go, head said dont, wife always said dont In another urgent decision, I decide to go with a year old Honda City. Due to severe orthopaedic problems with the legs, I had to lose this gem of a car to regain my health. Again speaking arithmetic is useless in this context. Since my second baby was on the way, could not stay without a car again. Booked Swift Dzire with three dealers in Bangalore parallely. None delivered on time.

Year 2011 - part2: Bought the Ford Figo. Needed a car with the impending childbirth and since hospital was far away had to choose something in the range of 6 lac or so. The Figo made it hence. A year and 3 months later, the power and torque of the Figo was not impressing me much. After adding Race dynamics kit for performance improvement, the Figo behaved wildly and addictively. However my mind wanted something much bigger or better. Sold the figo after just 10000kms. A dealer acting like a genuine individual buyer played some pranks, but since he paid up my loan, i let him go. Ford Figo was by far the best in hatchback segment, with planted ride, amazing speeds and overall nice features. Definitely a good buy barring the power and torque. My second son was born.

Year 2012: By now people almost assumed I would buy another car again. And again and again. I told my wife that the most I enjoyed was with the swift, so I ll book it again and be done. She agreed. Due to atleast 8 month wait time, I instead booked the dezire. From last november until this jan, I then had time to look at every car until the swift dzire was delivered. This is when the auto show reared its head to add to my choices.

In the coming post, I will let you know how I chose what I drive today. Stay tuned!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      Let me the first one to congratulate you geeksrik.
      As you sold Figo was waiting to know what's your next buy & it turned out to be a Caaar.
      Thank you Evolution88

Dicored!

Awesome

Congrats on your new Caaaaaaaaaaaar geeksrik!
      https://www.facebook.com/ThaenMadurai/

Madrasipattanam

Awesome

Congo geeksrik !!
      Never Say Never Again :)

Specially for Photography Section - If i post any pic in photography section, Please click and view in full screen for correct resolution and clarity. Thanks !!

Awesome

Exclamation Some observations during my car hunt

So I booked the new desire with a dealer in Bangalore against a cancelled booking. Since the other party had waited two months, I was promised a desire in two more months since nov 11. During this time I observed the following facts:

1. All diesel hatches which had ABS/Airbags were well over 7-7.5 lacs, except FIGO which was still VFM but not my cup of tea anymore.
      2. Some diesel hatches were well over the 8 lac mark which included the Polo, Punto 90HP and yours truly Swift ZDi as well. This means sedan level pricing. No more value for money
      3. Buying used cars was going out of question after past experiences
      4. waiting periods for Maruti were abnormally higher due to faux demand
      5. Labour unions were waging a war of their own which was affecting end customers like us
      6. Better engine does not necessarily mean better everything else
      7. The biggest bummer yet to come - Budget 2012 where significant diesel vehicle hikes are proposed
      8. For a lakh or two more, I am now getting proper sedans with full safety features and/or power
      9. Most cars needed service every 10000km except maruti which was still at 5000km
      10. Service centers alone was not the issue, the quality of the car mattered in the first place too

Coming up, I will discuss both test drives of existing cars as well as probable cars among the unlaunched ones yet which were on my list.

www.purplekart.in

Awesome

Looking at the title of the thread i thought it was related to someone called "sunny leone"
      Congrats,good choice,see you around in the ICE section in the near future
      PURPLEKART.in
      GEARX.in
      Chandru Auto Stores, Chennai
      Go loud or Go home !!!

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

First Sunny on GHD's... Congraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttssssssssssss ss(should be read like caaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr)
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information