• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Civic Maintenance and upkeep thread.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

Civic Maintenance and upkeep thread.

Hey guys...thought of starting this thread as w unable ot find one on GH. There is a similar thread on T-BHP which has grown tremendously and is now the one an only vice for Civic owners on T-bhp.
      So thought of starting a similar thread on GH as well...as I've just bought a Pre-Owned 08 civic and am an ardent civic fan. FYI...this is my 2nd civic.

Newayz...to start things off...recently got the 40k service of my civic in which I got each n every fluid/oil flushed and changed. Evrything is running fine...but suddenly a steering rattle creeped up on a certain stretch of bad patch on gurgoan roads. Though mostly very road in gurgaon has a bad patch.
      So thought of getting this steering rattle rectified...and the HASS had to take out the entire steering rack to figure out the issue and it sw found with the tie rods or ends which had play and are now replaced.

Now, the issue is the steering is behaving a little vague...mostly on extreme turns or U-Turns here in when turning it to extreme right or left...it is not coming back swiftly...have to turn it with my hand. An dal so while turning extreme left/right when the steering reaches around 70% of it's rotation..it suddenly n quickly turns automatically.
      I don't know how to put it in words....but newayz...wat seems to be the issue here.
      Also now the rattling has started in every bad patch from the steering column just behind the wheel.
      What seems to be the issue here...?? Cause this happened only after the change of tie rods...before that the steering was tight and snappy...used to return like a bolt action...quick an swift.
      Now, i think i shouldn't have let them open up the steering rack n change the tie rods.
      Does it take time for new tie rods to bed in...or something...i mean is it normal...??

Has anyone else faced such issue after changing the steering tie rods...???
      Last edited by Sanchit87; 5th Mar 2012 at 21:09.
      11' BEAT LT TCDI | Back to Stock ICE :-(

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

The Civic Owners I know present here are appuchan and Nikhil .
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      The Civic Owners I know present here are appuchan and Nikhil .
      And quicksilver!
      Last edited by tadukuttan; 10th Mar 2012 at 20:02. Reason: corrected quoted name
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Traveling...

Awesome

My Civic is two years old but still quite fresh (less than 15k run) and hence -touch wood - don't have any problem yet. Those who have owned and drive it longer may be able to help you. Btw, I believe sgiitk also owns a Civic AT.

Mugen Fever

Awesome

guys...my civic has done around 45k...n as most of u know...had bought it used n the clutch was hard from the beginning.
      Initially the clutch was hard...n had got bleeding done last yr. But now...i think the clutch requires a change...these are the symptoms for quite few months now.

The clutch is much harder then my diesel beat...quite hard for a petrol car.
      The 1st n 2nd gear are hard to engage.
      Squeaky Clutch - when the clutch pressed slowly especially while parking the car...it squeaks. Have lubricated it multiple times...it goes away for a while n then its back.
      Low Mileage
      Slight shuddering while moving from standstill...need to apply more gas to avoid it.

I am sure these are enough symptoms to change the Clutch...Experts please advice n Civic Owners too.
      I am a newbie at all this...so please tell me what all needs to be changed or advised to be changed. Pls mention the parts n names...have no clue here. I know about pressure plate, clutch plate etc...dont know what else.
      11' BEAT LT TCDI | Back to Stock ICE :-(

CIVIC MUGEN RR | Milano Red | TEIN SS | Lenso Raiden Project D "Spec C" | Dunlop Direzza DZ101 | Dynamat Extreme | FatMat

Only the dead have seen the
      end of War.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchit87 View Post
      Hey guys...thought of starting this thread as w unable ot find one on GH. There is a similar thread on T-BHP which has grown tremendously and is now the one an only vice for Civic owners on T-bhp.
      So thought of starting a similar thread on GH as well...as I've just bought a Pre-Owned 08 civic and am an ardent civic fan. FYI...this is my 2nd civic.

Newayz...to start things off...recently got the 40k service of my civic in which I got each n every fluid/oil flushed and changed. Evrything is running fine...but suddenly a steering rattle creeped up on a certain stretch of bad patch on gurgoan roads. Though mostly very road in gurgaon has a bad patch.
      So thought of getting this steering rattle rectified...and the HASS had to take out the entire steering rack to figure out the issue and it sw found with the tie rods or ends which had play and are now replaced.

Now, the issue is the steering is behaving a little vague...mostly on extreme turns or U-Turns here in when turning it to extreme right or left...it is not coming back swiftly...have to turn it with my hand. An dal so while turning extreme left/right when the steering reaches around 70% of it's rotation..it suddenly n quickly turns automatically.
      I don't know how to put it in words....but newayz...wat seems to be the issue here.
      Also now the rattling has started in every bad patch from the steering column just behind the wheel.
      What seems to be the issue here...?? Cause this happened only after the change of tie rods...before that the steering was tight and snappy...used to return like a bolt action...quick an swift.
      Now, i think i shouldn't have let them open up the steering rack n change the tie rods.
      Does it take time for new tie rods to bed in...or something...i mean is it normal...??

Has anyone else faced such issue after changing the steering tie rods...???
      First of all there was no need to open the steering rack and to know the tie rods are out. Honda people coned you.

Always follow from checking the tyres and connections first then moving to steering racks etc.

Do this small test. Put car on jack and shake the wheel by catching top and down ends of tyre and then again shake left and right ends. If there is a play or tick tick sound mostly the tie rod or ball joints are toast.

This rattle usually is caused by tie rods or ball joints. Also check the bushings, there are only 2 bushing in the lower control arm, then check the sway bar links for play. All this can be done by a local mech in front of your eyes. Dont go to honda ass they will rip you everytime.

This is really clear that honda ass didnt do its job properly and went till steering rack to make money.

Go and have an allignment done after all these checks. They havent set the steering properly. When i changed my ball joints and tie rods same thing happened where steering just pulls away to any side, allignment needs to be done to solve this.

Regards
      Aakudev

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Thread Information