• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bull bars: The real menace..... BANNED from Dec 7 2017

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Agree that bull bars mess with the Airbag sensors
      Do they really interfere? I guess not!

In Tucson, the impact sensor is right in the middle of the vehicle in between the front seats. The impact sensor relies on the impact shock-wave/G Force and not on the proximity.
      We could argue that the bullbar reduces the impact being transmitted to the chassis but in case of accidents which warrants an airbag deployment, I guess those sissy bull-bars available in India is not going to hamper the function much.

PS: I don't have a bull-bar and hate them all the same. But I'm now looking forward to an off-road lights mount and still want to stay away from bull-bars even though they serve this purpose well. The lights are approximately 3KG each and needs some rock-solid mounts to prevent them from vibrating.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion.” --Edmond de Goncour

Global Poster
      _/\_ in bhai universe trusts

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Sorry you are dead wrong. In the event of a collision the crumple zone does not come into play, so all the impact passes to the cabin through the chassis. It will save the car and kill or seriously hurt the passengers.
      Ok sgiitk sir. Thanks for your clarification. i was thinking that Bullbars only prevent the Airbag sensors from getting activated.
      Obviously, you have no sympathy for the pedestrians who may be hit.
      I donot know how you judge that i donot have sympathy for pedestrians. Installing Bullbars doesn't mean i don't give a damn about the pedestrians. When I install Bullbar I will be extra careful and go more sedate. I always drive carefully and sedate. When I drive, I always think of not hitting any one at-least pedestrians. As you say the hit will be hard if hit by Bullbar, at higher speeds anyways the damage is going to be there for pedestrians when hit by plastic , fiber bumper or steel bullbars. You may as well line your bumpers with Spongy materials so that whenever you hit pedestrians they will not feel the pain .
      Last edited by machi vijay; 3rd Apr 2012 at 11:03.
      In BHAI the universe trusts _/\_

Wear HelMet to avoid Hell Meet

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by cbvijay View Post
      Ok sgiitk Installing Bullbars doesn't mean i don't give a damn about the pedestrians. When I install Bullbar I will be extra careful and go more sedate. I always drive carefully and sedate.
      Good. But then every accident has two parties, and statistically each is responsible for half of them. If you are extra careful, then your contribution may be lesser (say 20%). Once I got hit by a tempo who started all of a sudden and pulled in, did my front light and side panel. Once it was a bus which it the rear of my Zen, the reason a tempo turned all of a sudden ad I was forced to stop, and was rear-ended by a bus.

You must have missed the point about pedestrians being thrown over the bonnet (impact point below the knee) and toppled/trampled as will happen will bull bars.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Ω ≠ ॐ

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Agree that bull bars mess with the Airbag sensors, but that alone is not the issue. The crumple zones will not function properly. Also, I have read cases where the bull bars in a crash have been pushed back into the bonnet and damaged the engine.

Contrary to popular perception here, bull bars dont help in reducing damage,in fact does the opposite.
      Quote Originally Posted by cbvijay View Post
      Ok sgiitk sir. Thanks for your clarification. i was thinking that Bullbars only prevent the Airbag sensors from getting activated.
      Not if you use a well designed unit from manufacturers like TJM, ARB, etc.
      They make vehicle specific units which are SRS Airbag compatible.

Badly designed bullbars do pose a increased threat of injury to a pedestrians.
      But we need to remember that bullbars are NOT the only potential danger to the pedestrian on the road, its a small fraction amongst others.

You must have missed the point about pedestrians being thrown over the bonnet (impact point below the knee) and toppled/trampled as will happen will bull bars.
      By that standard, all the buses and trucks plying on our roads should be banned as well.
      A well designed bullbar will not trample a pedestrian underneath. Have a look here Bullbars : VicRoads

Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by gotzuk; 3rd Apr 2012 at 11:39.
      Team Avalanche Promotosports
      Audiophools don't use their equipment to listen to music. Audiophools use music to listen to their equipment.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

gotzuk; Buses, trucks and the rest are what we get. At least those who can should minimise the risks to fellow road users. Who knows one day buses and trucks may also have to have some pedestrian protection devices. Remember the Beetle in US was asked (I think in the 60's or 70's) to have a higher bumper so as to be within range of other cars!
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
      You are caught. What is this?
      It was a query and not a final buy
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Global Poster
      _/\_ in bhai universe trusts

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Gump View Post
      So this is a Bull Bar Spotting thread
      No Bull-bar bashing thread
      In BHAI the universe trusts _/\_

Wear HelMet to avoid Hell Meet

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Are rear metal bars useful or do they cause more damage to the vehicle.

Why does muvs/suvs install these rear ones,some maruthi cars too have them. I mean i dont have it in hatchback/sedan but when it comes to muv everyone is asking to get one atleast a rear bar.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

I will never been seen with bull bars on my car. I think they look stupid. Many people mount them to fit driving lamps but its just an excuse to fit the bars. The owner of this Suzuki has some serious problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maruti-Ritz-with-bull-bar.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	226100

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Rather than Banning Bull bars, Police should focus on people maintaining safe distance between vehicles. Esp the bikers tend to squeeze in and Put scratches on paint/ headlights.

Agree, Bullbars could trample with deployment of airbags so should not be used.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information