• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me making a choice please !!!

Ride or Die
      ♠♠♠

Hungry

Talking Help me making a choice please !!!

Hello Gearheads,

This is my first post on gearheads.in as i discovered about it 2 days ago since I was trying to reach team-bhp.com & wasn't able to open the webpage in my browser for unknown reasons. Well, it proved to be good because I discovered equally good, Or shall I say better forum for automobile enthusiasts which is easy to join without any judgement from a moderator like on team-bhp.
      Well let me get to the point now. I have been driving a Maruti Wagon R for last 6 years & its about to complete its 1 Lac Kms on the odo. I have been planning to get another car for quite sometime now. Lemme confess I am crazy about cars, big cars, Damn all kinda cars. Its the only subject I love to study since I was in school till date. Also, cuz I don't make that kinda money so I could afford a nice big car all by myself, so its pretty clear that I will have to go for a used-less-driven sedan. Skoda Octavia used to be my dream car at the time I bought the wagon R. But since then times have changed & so are my preferences. Recently my heart was all rolling over getting a Honda Accord 2.4 MT 2007+ model (7.5 generation-facelifted one), & even Honda civic, considering both are premium segment luxury cars with nice & powerful engines. But then came 2012 & petrol prices were revised almost thrice in last one year. So finally it made me think if getting a petrol car would be worth at all. Cuz even if I get the car for a budget of 6 Lacs, the fuel expenses are gonna act as a barrier. Also my average driving a 50 kms a day & around 100-200 kms on weekends. a 500-80 kms road trip to Manali, Nainital or Shimla once every 6 months. I want a car under budget of 6 Lacs, Should be diesel engine, I won't mind it having all the features that a luxury sedan offers & yeah an OK fuel efficiency. I have been doing research over & over and my heart is set on Skoda Laura Laurin & Klement (2.0 or 1.9 PD). I have come across several dealers/individuals whjo are offering this car for 6-7 Lacs range for 2006+ models. The reason I liked it is because it offers features that no other car does under my budget (Sun-roof,climate control,Cruise Control,Rain Sensors, Parking Sensors, Electric Seats, & so many other features) Its a power packed car which offers nice FE too. Now I have heard a lot about horror stories of skoda dealers too. Also the expensive service costs/expensive parts. Well about servicing, I've read somewhere that people in delhi who own a skoda prefer a workshop in West Delhi (Vikas Puri) who does genuine job compared to Authorized dealers. Also considering the fact that I will be getting a 2006-2007 or 2008 model under my budget, I don't see a reason to go to an authorized service station other than to get myself looted by them. & my maternal uncle has a huge workshop in Gujarat (Ahmedabad), I know Skoda's parts like Timing belt, fly wheel, gearbox, etc cost a bomb but for that I already confirmed with him. He said he knows people at skoda & he could get me genuine parts for cheap if I would need any. So I would rather prefer having him send a mechanic from his workshop over with genuine parts which would save me 50K if I were to spend 100K anyways. But still the big question "Is it really a car worth buying ??", Is there any car better than Skoda laura L & K which I could buy for/under 6 Lacs. Earlier I wanted to go for Tata Safari but then dropped the idea as many people told me that buying a second hand Safari is not worth. So a Diesel Sedan is on my mind, Laura L & K being the top preference. While I am exploring the cars, I came across these deals as mentioned underneath :-

1) Ford Fiesta ZXi Diesel 2007 1.4 TDCI
      Asking Price (Rs.) - 3,80,000
      Kms Done - 58,645
      Model Year - Feb-2007

2) Chevvy OPTRA magnum LT, 2008 Model
      Colour - Sanddrift Silver Grey
      Fuel Type - petrol,
      Top model, with Airbags,
      Electric Sun-roof,
      beige color interiors,
      showroom condition, absolutely original, not evfen a single piece painted,
      single handed driven,
      54000km done,
      HR no., comprehensively insured
      Price 395000

3) Lady Driven Tata Safari EX 2.2 V.T.T, Color pearl white , 2008 Model. Run 35,000K.M. Excellent Condition. INR 4,50,000

4) Ford Fiesta ZXi 1.4 TDCi Ltd (2006) INR 3,50,000
      Fuel Type - Diesel
      Transmission - unspecified
      Colour - Pista
      KMs Driven - 52,000
      No of Owners - 1
      Initial Reg Date - 2006
      Registration Type - Individual

5) The car you have shown interest in is Honda Civic 1.8V MT (#D333676), done 55000 KM listed for Rs. 4,90,000/-

6) The car you have shown interest in is Honda Civic 1.8V MT (#D333124), done 18400 KM listed for Rs. 5,25,000/-

I will be buying the car within next two months itself as right now busy with setting up my business too, So please help me choose the right car for me. I know the deals I mentioned above include petrol cars too, but deals were so lucrative I just couldn't resist, Irrespective of the fact that I'l rather go for a Diesel car now.

All the help will be highly appreciated. I know its a very long post, but from next time onwards, I'll keep it short & crisp.

Thanks y'all,
      Vicky

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Welcome aboard Vicky

Stay away from 2006-07 Skoda's as their maintenance cost will be on the higher side.

Pick up the Safari or the Fiesta and try to negotiate hard and before buying please check the genuineness of the speedo meter reading and check the insurance value and other things.

Mustang.101 is from Delhi and he can help you in examining the Fiesta as he has extensive knowledge about Ford cars, so seek his help before buying it.

anubhavt mastersquall sheelz are Safari owners from Delhi and seek their help before choosing the truck, they know what all needs to be inspected in the car.

All the best
      Last edited by camchennai; 13th Apr 2012 at 03:57.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      Stay away from 2006-07 Skoda's as their maintenance cost will be on the higher side.

Saral Srivastava, I would suggest please stay away from Skoda as their maintenance is unreasonably expensive.

As camchennai suggested pick up either Fiesta or Safari. There is a trusted TASS in Vikaspuri ( Kesho Pur Ind Area, behind H-3 petrol pump) you can go there and ask them to check the Safari. I know most of the SA there, so let me know before you go there.
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Awesome

Saral Srivastava , first of all, warm welcome to GearHeads.

In my opinion, used Skoda cars as mentioned by you should not be considered even though it seems that you are bit of inclined towards them.

I would advice Fiesta as first preference and we have Mustang.101 on board from Delhi who can surely help you with Ford cars.

My second choice will be Safari which you said is in excellent condition. So all the best.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Both the fiestas have done a little less than 60,000 kms. Some news parts are needed in cars in the 60K kms service. So you need to dedicate a little money for that as well.

Check the used car prices from carwale.com to confirm whether you are getting the right deal and not getting fleeced.

Whatever vehicle you buy, open the hood and check for any bent metal parts that look to have been straightened. Also check for oversprays of paint on the rubber/plastic parts. this was to check for frontal accidents

Next, open the boot and pull up the boot mat and take out the spare wheel. Now look at the boot metal floor. Does any part of that metal floor look like the texture of tissue paper when you crush it and then straighten it? If it does then somebody had probably rammed it from the rear.

Lastly and finally, drive the car and check the AC, the electrical accessories, lights etc. and look for any weird sounds like the squeeking of the timing belt, the bang sounds of the suspension etc. if you find any of the sound present then its not a major issue but then you have to allocate some money for those parts.

And if all is well then go ahead, buy the car.
      Ford Fiesta 1.6 (2010),
      Ford Fusion+ TDCi (2010),
      Trek 3500 (2012)
      In France or Belgium till march 20.

I now know I can set Status
      here .. hehe

Awesome

Saral Srivastava, Go with Mustangs recommendation. Ford is always a better car. Please don't opt for Skoda's.
      --
      Sreehari

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

What 'bout a new Fiesta Classic? Costs 'bout 6-7L in Del.

Why are you bent on a second hand? Yes, they'll offer features and feel of a higher segment but given the volume of your travel, won't it be better to get a new reliable one?
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nfspoet
      What 'bout a new Fiesta Classic? Costs 'bout 6-7L in Del.

Why are you bent on a second hand? Yes, they'll offer features and feel of a higher segment but given the volume of your travel, won't it be better to get a new reliable one?
      Or maybe a ford figo diesel, it will be even cheaper and easier to park.
      Ford Fiesta 1.6 (2010),
      Ford Fusion+ TDCi (2010),
      Trek 3500 (2012)
      In France or Belgium till march 20.

Daaam I did not know GH had
      this option! :D

Awesome

vicky All Japenese cars are really good and very reliable, you could also try getting the VW Polo in that Price range, Ford is also good as well as you have a diesel option in it. Maintainanace wise they both are reasonable except for VW !
      Last edited by undecover_bro; 13th Apr 2012 at 13:26.

Awesome

Stay away from Skodas, please.

The Fiesta diesel is a brilliant car and if you can negotiate and get it at a good price, look no where else.

Do the checks as mentioned by Mustang.101 and you should be safely getting a decent car.

Quote Originally Posted by Saral Srivastava View Post
      my maternal uncle has a huge workshop in Gujarat (Ahmedabad)
      Where in ahmedabad?? Do let me know please.
      Competition setup going active soon ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information